Rob Ford mocked by 'The Daily Show,' admits crack use during 'drunken stupors'
Toronto mayor Rob Ford has admitted that he smoked crack. His excuse? He did it during a drunken stupor and really doesn't remember all that well. Obviously.
There's a reason why Jon Stewart found it so easy to mock the Canadian politician during "The Daily Show." Honestly, the jokes pretty much write themselves.
Ford's admission is just the latest in a months-long saga about whether or not there is a video in which the mayor smokes crack. Last spring, Gawker tried to purchase that video, raising funds via their "Crackstarter" campaign. But the video disappeared before they could buy it.
The story resurfaced this week with news that the Toronto police have the video and are investigating criminal activity depicted on it. But until Tuesday (Nov. 5), Ford denied any knowledge of or appearance in the footage.
Related: Rob Ford beats Hulk Hogan at arm-wrestling
That's all changed, which means this must be pretty irrefutable stuff. During a Toronto press conference, the mayor flat-out admitted to the use of crack. "Yes, I have smoked crack cocaine," Ford told reporters. "Have I tried it? Probably in one of my drunken stupors, probably approximately about a year ago."
Don't expect Mayor Ford to just resign or anything now. He did not indicate any ideas in that direction during the conference, merely asking forgiveness for his "mistakes."
The criminal investigation into the case is ongoing.
But let's get back to Jon Stewart's joking about Rob Ford. That's funnier. Here are some of the best bits:
- "... exhibiting the kind of poor judgment you commonly associate with smoking crack."
- "Smoking crack and making racist and homophobic remarks? I believe in Canada that's called a 'hat trick.'"
- "He seems to be pretty accepting of anybody ... who smokes crack with him."
- "Mr. Mayor, while you're still able to speak ..."
- "I would very much like to know what happened down at the Danforth."
- "Good on you, Toronto! It must be nice to live in a city so problem-free it can be run for years by a hard-drinking crack mayor."
Photo/Video credit: Getty Images, Hulu
Zap2it Elite Sheet Must Reads from the Web's In-Crowd