Unborn baby's fingernail puts mom into 12-hour coma
Angela Cottam is lucky to be alive after a stray fingernail, or possibly a hair, from one of her unborn twins entered her bloodstream, causing her lungs to collapse.
The Daily Mail reports Cottam suffered from severe internal bleeding, and was forced to give birth to her daughters by C-section five weeks early. The twins had to be resuscitated upon delivery.
Cottam was placed on life support, spending 12 hours in a coma. She required 22 blood transfusions, and seven pints of blood.
"Knowing that I almost died has changed my perspective on life," says Cottam. "I'm more laid back and I am enjoying being a mum more than ever because I know we were so close to losing so much."
The doctor who treated Angela says the mother was suffering from a rare condition called amniotic fluid embolism, which can be catastrophic.
Angela admits reliving the situation can be pretty heavy, saying, "There are moments when I've been on my own and I've had a little cry and thought 'What if?' But I try not to dwell on that and just thank my lucky stars the doctors and midwives on duty that day recognised what was happening."
Photo/Video credit: Fair Use
Zap2it Elite Sheet Must Reads from the Web's In-Crowd